Wednesday, June 23, 2010

¡Ay, caramba! State Fairgrounds to host 10th annual El Dia de la Familia

My colleague, Kris, is a native Michiganian, but he’s temporarily flocked south to attend graduate school at IUPUI. Since I love Indiana, and he’s new to the area, I will occasionally (OK, I admit, it’s more like “often”) recommend places to go, people he should meet, restaurants to try, and give him other advice. Just ‘dub me “Queen of Hoosier Hospitality.”

So naturally, when Kris told me he’s yet to find a great place to eat Mexican food, I offered up a laundry list of restaurants. I guess that means this blog entry goes out to Kris and my fellow Hoosiers.

One of my favorite authentic Mexican restaurants, El Sol de Tala, will be selling food at the festival this weekend! Even though Mexico is about 1,500 miles away from Indianapolis, it doesn’t mean the food changes when you eat at El Sol. I really hope they’ll serve up some guac and warm chips. Another vendor to check out while you’re at the festival would be Restaurante Oaxaca. If they bring their special green sauce, you’ll need to find the nearest margarita vendor to help cool your taste buds.

We all love great food, but if you’re looking for something more than tacos and tamales, there will be plenty of music and free family-friendly fun. Here are all the details you’ll need:

WHEN: This Saturday, June 19th
WHERE: Indiana State Fairgrounds Infield
TIME: Noon – Gates open
1 p.m. – Live music begins
10:45 p.m. – Fireworks show
COST: FREE with a $5 parking fee

Oh yeah, and here’s one last Hoosier Hospitality tip for you – get here early – this is the first year the State Fairgrounds will host the event, and we’re expecting a large crowd!




Submitted by: Courtney Sampson

No comments:

Post a Comment